In March 2016 the Scottish Friendly Children’s Book Tour visited primary schools in Inverclyde, West Lothian and Dundee with the award winning non-fiction writer Christiane Dorion.
Over the course of a jam-packed week Christiane visited 10 primary schools, fueling pupils’ imaginations with facts and trivia taken from her latest books How The World Began and How Animals Live. Christiane wowed wide-eyed pupils with a real leopard skin and encouraged them to think about the world around them. It was amazing to see how creative and forward thinking children can be, and they came up with some amazing inventions from the future. A car fuelled by the cuteness of bunnies? How about some solar powered rocket boots? It was amazing to see how creative and forward thinking children can be.
Whilst on the road we quizzed Christiane about books, films and fantasy dinner guests. Read on to find out more…
1. Which author or fictional character would you like to have dinner with?
A. Roald Dahl
2. Which book should every child read?
‘The Little Prince’ by Antoine de St-Exupéry
3. What would your dream job be if you were not an author?
4. What’s your most prized possession?
A. My photo albums
5. Who would you play you in a film of your life?
A. Marion Cotillard
6. What’s your fondest childhood memory?
A. Canoeing and fishing in the woods in Canada where my father would take me and my siblings every summer. We would land on the lakes by sea plane and stay in a cabin in the woods surrounded by nature.
7. If you could go back in time, what year, period or event would you choose?
A. None. I love the present!
8. Which book has left the greatest impression on you?
A. ‘Oscar and the Lady in Pink’ by Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt
9. If you could give one piece of advice to aspiring authors what would it be?
A. Trust your instinct
10. What would be your first purchase if you won the lottery?
A. A Volkswagen camper van converted to run on hydrogen