This month, students from secondary schools from all over the UK will receive their exam results, with Scottish students being the first to receive them on Tuesday 6th August.
Although it‘s been 25 years since I was the one sitting on the stairs, waiting for the postman to deliver my fate, I remember the anxiety only too well.
So here’s some tips on how to cope with waiting on exam results…
• Don’t go over and over the exam, once it’s done, it’s done. Don’t beat yourself up about not studying enough or having missed questions.
• If you know the date that you’re due to receive your results, keep yourself busy beforehand so that your mind is distracted.
• Have a plan B and even a plan C. Consider all eventualities so that you don’t have all of your hopes focussed on one particular outcome.
• If you don’t get the results you were looking for, perhaps stay off social media for a while. This will mean that you will avoid posts from smug students (and smug parents) who got the results they wanted and aren’t shy to shout about it.
• Keep in mind that some of the most successful people of our era left school with little or no qualifications. Some include; Richard Branson, Simon Cowell, Drew Barrymore and Lord Alan Sugar.
Exams have reportedly gotten harder in the last few years, so no matter the outcome, be proud of yourself! Celebrate the fact that you have come through the other end and think about your achievements both academically and not. Good luck!
Have a comment or question?